Monday, June 18, 2012

if lightning hits my car because of this, you're grounded

In the car, on the way home after a weekend road trip:

WP: Hey, mom?  In church, why do they call those things 'wafers' when they're really styrofoam?

KMS: (incapacitated from laughing, the kind of laughing that actually doesn't make any noise but causes your entire body to shake)

Colonel: (laughing) Those really are wafers, sweetie. Not styrofoam. 

WP:  Well, I'm just saying. Because one time I tasted one of those packing peanuts, and they tasted just like those things in church.

My laughter, by now audible, became convulsive.  I thought Toby's head was going to hit the steering wheel.  

I swear to God, you can't make this stuff up.

3 comments:

  1. Sophie refers to them as cardboard. Same diff. She much prefers the actual bread that our altar guild folks bake. Gotta say, I'm with those two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This from two girls who regularly refer to the Eucharist as "snack time."

    Which reminds me, better check to make sure my homeowners policy fully protects against lightning strikes. Although I'm guessing that in my case, blasphemy would be considered a "pre-existing condition".

    Oh, wait, that's just for health insurance. Whew. I might be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I think blasphemy is a little-known subset of arson if it results in a lightning strike that burns your house down. Better get an umbrella policy ... ;-P

    ReplyDelete