Wednesday, May 16, 2018

commando

Fridays are "splash days" at the Warrior Princess' summer day camp. Accordingly, she wore her swimsuit to camp underneath her clothes, and being the organized and got-it-together mom that I am, I sent her with dry undies in a ziploc to change into afterwards. Swimsuit? Check. Sunscreen, applied at home before dressing? Check. Towel? Check. Change of clothes? Check. Splash day situation fully under control.

When I picked her up in the afternoon, she was playing kickball with the other second-graders. She was in her dry clothes, her hair in curly post-splash disarray, her skin lightly tanned from playing outside. (This in itself is a wonderful thing, since most who know the WP know her to be perilously Nintendo DS-obsessed.)

On the way to the car, WP galloped down the school halls. I asked her about her day, like I always do. "Fun," she grunted. She has a tendency to be somewhat monosyllabic after school and camp.

Me: So, you had a good time for splash day?

WP: (gallop, gallop, gallop) Yes. Only when I was getting dressed, I forgot to put my underwear on!

Me: Oh, no! So you had to take all your clothes back off?

WP: (after a beat) Um, no...I'm not actually wearing my underwear right this minute.

Me: Well...okay. So you're, like, commando right now?

WP: (very matter-of-factly) Yeah. I actually find it very relaxing.

Hard to argue with that, especially in the summertime in Arkansas. It's only a wardrobe malfunction if it's unintentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment