Wednesday, May 16, 2018

oh well, that's rock and roll

The Warrior Princess and her friend Sophie have a punk rock band. They call themselves the Jerks. (I have no idea who came up with this, but it's awesome.) They're the house band in WP's playroom. Sometimes Sophie is on guitar and Lily is on drums. Sometimes Lily is on guitar and Sophie is on bass. They rock out hardcore on Guitar Hero.

This morning it was my turn to run carpool. I asked the WP about a patriotic sing they were having at school.

I'm not really good at singing, WP said matter-of-factly.

I disagree, I replied, I think you have a very sweet singing voice.

Like this? she queried, and then yelled BLOB!!! at the top of her lungs.

No, I responded calmly, when you actually sing, instead of just yelling 'blob.'

She thought about that for a second. Then she added, Sophie and I aren't in the Jerks anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that, I told her. What happened? Creative differences?

What's that mean?

You know, some bands break up because of creative differences. Maybe you wanted to innovate. You wanted to express yourself musically. Go in a different direction. And maybe she was more concerned about, like, commercial viability.

Yeah, WP played along. It's really fun when she's game for my shtick. Usually she just thinks I'm an embarrassment. I wanted to write my own songs.

Happens all the time, I assured her. So maybe you go off, make a solo record, do a small club tour, maybe. And then y'all will be ready to be the Jerks again.

Yeah, she murmured, off in her daydream. WP is considering her options.

Then we got into a discussion about the merits of abstract art. I have no idea how that happened. It was kind of a fun ride to school, though.

2 comments: